Vancouver Public Schools is in the early stages of installing an artificial turf field at Skyview High School. The new field was made possible by a bond measure that local voters approved in 2017. It will be used for PE and sports and by community members and groups. The installation should be completed by August 2018.
District officials reviewed more than 90 studies on the safety of artificial turf and crumb rubber infill. None of the research concluded there is a health risk to children or adults. VPS will continue to monitor the latest findings.
The new field will offer longevity of use, lower maintenance and greater field use even in adverse weather conditions.
To improve usability of the field, VPS also plans to install highly focused LED lights. The district will work to minimize the impact on the surrounding neighborhood.
- State-of-the-art LED lights will illuminate the field without spilling into the night sky.
- Activities will be scheduled to end at 9 p.m.
- The field will be located on the west side of the Skyview campus between the tennis courts and baseball diamond—as far away from residential areas as possible.
- No sound amplification system or stadium will be added.
- Varsity football games will continue to be played at Kiggins Bowl.
- Lots at Skyview and Alki Middle School will provide ample parking for practices and games.
If you have any questions about this project, please call 360-313-1248.